Research and respond to the following in a minimum of 175 words:
Agencies have come to communicate with the public through social media sites. However, companies and agencies are also checking the social media accounts of employees and potential employees. Answer the following questions in your response:
* If you have social media accounts, are you careful about what you post? Would you give your login and password to a company or agency? Why or why not? This article discusses that some companies ask for a Facebook password.
* As an employee, can you legally be terminated for what you post on your site? Are there any laws protecting you for what you post? Why or why not?
* What is legally considered a Hostile Work Environment in your state? (Please provide the state and the state’s laws).
* What is the definition of “Freedom of Speech?” Please see the US Supreme Court’s holdings as to the definition.
* Based on the laws you just researched and discussed, have we eroded the right to Freedom of Speech in this country by censoring and firing people for posting or saying things on-line? Why or why not?
* What if a person is an avid hunter of deer and posts pictures on his or her Facebook page of deer he or she has killed? Considering the laws of your state, if the employer sees that, hates hunting and finds the pictures offensive, can that employer legally terminate that person? Why or why not?
Please be sure to conduct research, provide statistics and cite each source.
RESPOND TO Professor IN 175 words
Certain speech, even via text messages, is not protected and can be deemed criminal in nature. It is a new area, as we did not used to have text messages and this type of behavior could have occurred only on the phone or by letters.
However, in this case, a woman was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter due to her actions of encouraging and instigating the suicide of another person primarily via texts. Her lawyers argued this was “Free Speech,” however, the trial and appeals courts saw differently. See the link about her sentence here.
Do you agree with the decision of the courts? Why or why not
RESPOND TO MARCUS IN 175 WORDS
I don’t hardly post anything on my Facebook account, but I’m very careful about what I do post. Yes I would give my password to an employer if they needed it to check to make sure I’m not posting the wrong things on social media. Yes you can be legally terminated by a job if you’re on social media talking about doing harm to someone or people that you work with. This is taken as threats that have to be taken seriously. There can also be a huge problem if you’re posting naked pictures of yourself on social media that can make the company look very bad. In the state of Florida a hostile work environment can mean someone harassing you on the job constantly by being mean or sexual harassing you all the time. Which sexual harassing is the number one hostile environment issue in the state of Florida. A person being able to say what they want at anytime is there freedom of speech, as long as it is not threatening to anyone. I would tell my employees to just watch what they say on social media and make sure they are not being offensive to anyone. I can’t fire a deer hunter who works at my job because hey posted a picture of a dead dear, because it is there right to be a deer hunter.
For This or a Similar Paper Click Here To Order Now