As the BA in Leadership capstone course, the central activity is to articulate your synthesis of learning about leadership and yourself as a leader in the form of a personal philosophy of leadership paper. This paper is a theory that serves to explain and guide how you act, a set of beliefs/principles that ground you in how you will lead, and a set of commitments that drive your actions as a leader.
Citing the readings from this course, material from lectures and forum discussions, and thoughts/ideas/concepts from your previous courses, reflect on the following questions:
Each question will form one of three parts and should be roughly 3-4 pages each. There will be opportunities for peer editing and instructor revision before you submit your final paper. For the part two draft, you are only answering question 2.
Question #2 What do you believe? Describe your core beliefs. What is your worldview? You may use Sires 8 basic worldview questions to describe your perspectives. What are your core values as a person and as a leader? How does your worldview shape your view of leadership?
(Based on James W. Sire, The Universe Next Door, 3d ed., 1997)
1. Sire identifies the following as the seven basic questions a worldview tries to answer:
1. What is prime reality?the really real?
2. What is the nature of external reality, that is, the world around us?
3. What is a human being?
4. What happens to a person at death?
5. Why is it possible to know anything at all?
6. How do we know what is right and wrong?
7. What is the meaning of human history?