FORMAT FOR WRITTEN CASE ANALYSIS Sections of the Analysis (in order):
• Executive Summary (2-3 paragraphs)
• Problem Definition (1 page)
• Analysis of Alternatives (2 pages)
• Plan Development (1 page)
• 8 Study Questions (2 pages)
Read the case thoroughly and complete the case study by following the Guidelines for Marketing Case Analysis and also answer the questions below:
(1) How did Clorox get itself into this present situation?
(2) Of what relevant trends should the Kingsford brand managers be aware?
(3) Why do people grill?
(4) Profile a frequent griller.
(5) Why do people use charcoal versus gas when grilling?
(6) What marketing objectives do you recommend for the Kingsford brand? What is your recommended marketing objective and primary competitive focus? Make sure to explore the following categories:Cooking out vs. Dining In, Grilling vs. Gas and Charcoal.
(7) What is your action plan? Make sure your plan captures the specific aspects of pricing, advertising, promotion and production. What pricing action do you suggest? Would you spend additional money on advertising or promotions? If so, how much and why? What is your core communication message? What are your promotion objectives and tactics?
(8) What should the brand managers propose? How does your plan relate to business objectives relative to market share, profit and brand equity?
I really have guided you more than I have ever done before. Yes, this last case will truly illustrate your complete understanding of marketing. Make sure to give yourself adequate time to work on this final case.