1) Look at the Health Disparities Social Determinants of Health Snapshot and answer the following:
a) Select one of the categories (Economic Stability; Neighborhood and Physical Environment; Education; Food; Community and Social Context; or Health Care System) and discuss how improvements in that category could decrease the disparity for Mental Health Disparities discussed in that video.
b) Select one of the categories (Economic Stability; Neighborhood and Physical Environment; Education; Food; Community and Social Context; or Health Care System) and discuss how improvements in that category could decrease the disparity for Minority Health Disparities discussed in that video.
2) After viewing the Ethics of Gene Editing video, what is the ethic behind using genetic editing in potentially eliminating Huntington’s disease or cystic fibrosis? Do the ends justify the means according to the ethicist?
3) After viewing the Human Genome: Who Do We Think We Are? video, discuss whether you have taken a DNA test and what were the surprising outcomes if you did? If you haven’t, is there a reason why you haven’t?
ETHICAL ORGANIZATION AND LEADERSHIP
You are the chief nurse executive (CNE) in a busy regional hospital. In the past few weeks, you have heard a rumor from several employees that two experienced registered nurses (RNs) on an acute-care medical unit have been bullying three novice RNs on that same unit. The hospital policy includes a zero-tolerance workplace violence section with this explicit statement on bullying behaviors: “Administrators are ethically responsible for providing a safe, nonviolent work environment, free from bullying and intimidating behaviors.”
You discussed these rumors and the hospital policy with the nurse manager of that unit. The manager has heard bits and pieces of past instances of these two RNs bullying others, but lately she has not seen any specific behaviors. You strive to foster high ethical standards, harmony, and participatory efforts toward a common goal, which moves you to create an educational initiative on prevention of workplace bullying. You do not wish to call out the two RNs’ behaviors in a public way, but you believe this policy is so important that more education on workplace violence, particularly bullying, would benefit all nursing staff. You plan to ask your nurse managers for their creative ideas on how to achieve this initiative and then engage them in the implementation and evaluation phases of the initiative.
Review the chapter content and answer the following:
4) Would your immediate action be to discuss the bullying rumor with the two RNs? As you answer, try to integrate your ideas regarding the hospital policy, whether to include the nurse manager in your discussion with the two RNs, your commitment to high ethical standards and participatory efforts toward a common goal, accountability, and the fact that all you really know for sure at this point is a rumor you heard. If you say yes to a discussion with the two RNs, how might you proceed? Please explain.
5) What is the CNE’s ethical leadership style? What other characteristics make up this type of leadership?
6) What planning strategies would you use to proceed with the educational initiative? Think about ways to integrate such topics as change strategies, fairness, justice, trust, respect, and job responsibilities.
7) What does servant leadership mean to you? What is your experience with different types of leaders in your workplace and can you tell the differences?
Cite your references in APA format.