Write an 2-3 page paper in response to this lecture: Answering some of this questions—or any thoughts or suggestions of your own: What is Culture and What is Community?
(1) What parts of the videos and the panel discussion, article did you find yourself in most agreement with? Why is the nursing and healthcare field so fascinating to you in terms of making a difference with other people and your community? In your opinion–in contrast to other cultures–why is it that in the US we seem to have mass shootings quite often?
(2) Where would you want to push or challenge these videos or panel discussion or article or any of these concepts or opinions? What do we owe the community, if anything? in your opinion–why is a diverse cultural community important? Why is diversity important to a community? If we have fundamental differences in how we interpret others’ behavior, how do we view our own behavior, our own sense of self?
(3) What are some of the points made by the article, videos and panel participants do you personally feel is the most important and why? In your opinion, what is culture? How does the culture around us shape our sense of self and the way we view the world?
(4) And how much of nursing and healthcare do you believe is mental? What are some of your goals when it comes to your chosen field. Can one person really make a difference i.e. Dutch the Destroyer video and Mr. Irrelevant? In your opinion—Why are rates of depression among Latinos increasing over time?
(5) Do you believe that your chosen field molds the character of the people who are employed in this vocation? If yes–how can you work on these qualities to become even better at your job
Discovering Cultural Psychology | Discussion and Reaction
This Program explores how cultural psychology integrates cross-cultural research with sociology, psychology, anthropology and other social sciences. This program also examines how cultures contribute to self-identity, the central aspects of cultural values, and emerging issues regarding diversity and the community. (View and react in your paper)
Discussion and Reaction Paper: Hazel Markus on the Emergence of Cultural Study
Dr. Hazel Markus explains how the inextricable factor of one’s own cultural perspective led to the development of the subfield of cultural psychology. (Read and react in your paper)
Cultures are not new, but cultural psychology is a relatively new force in the field of psychology —for a variety of reasons. Even though there were a number of important thinkers in social psychology, much of [psychological] research started as an empirical science in laboratory studies or in controlled settings.
In these settings, I suspect cultural factors were not as obvious to people and therefore hard to work with. In addition, there was a certain uniformity to social psychologists. For a long time, the field was dominated by white middle-class men with similar training and similar perspectives. They brought their own cultural assumptions to the table, making cultural particulars harder to see.
It was only when psychology students entered the field from other contexts and countries, with different ideas and practices, that the American cultural foundation started to be highlighted. Diversity in the field is critical as we continue to think about human nature and examine different ways of living and interacting.
Cultural psychology builds on one of the most fundamental ideas in psychology: The products of the mind are a function of the social communities that people are part of. Cultural psychology is an effort to recognize human nature and the different ways of being human.
It integrates what we know about human nature with the patterning of the social worlds we live in. Our departure point is the discovery of humans as a social process or a social product, and that makes cultural psychology a very exciting field to be in right now.
More information about Dr. Markus and her work may be found at the Stanford University website: https://profiles.stanford.edu/hazel-markus.
ABC Primetime: What Would you Do? (Class Discussion)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoJQUd7pqNc (Cheating Blind Man)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0cR0xMXO5o (Homeless Harassed)
Ethics in America: Do onto others: https://www.learner.org/series/ethics-in-america/do-unto-others/ (Panel Discussion) (View at home) (Reaction Paper)
Video: MR. IRRELEVANT | The irrelevant giant with a huge heart (Class Disucssion)
Review | Exercise Paper (1): Song Choice: Due Next Week | September 14, 2021
TED TALK : The lies our culture tells us about what matters and a better way to live
Video: Mayor Nutter’s lecture on civility and responsibility within the community (View and Discuss) | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXwCOcBjpbg